We hope that while you are enjoying summer to the fullest, you are still able to find fun ways to keep a little literacy in your busy days. It really helps to prevent the summer slide, where children lose some of what they had learned during the program or school year.
Here are a few simple ideas:
- Sing songs or nursery rhymes, and play rhyming words games while in the car
- Point out print on traffic signs, cereal boxes, restaurants, anywhere!
- Play games such as Simon Says, Hopscotch, or I Spy
- Take your children to the library and let them choose their books
- Tell stories to each other
- Read aloud to your child
- Encourage older siblings to read with younger children
- Look for shapes in the clouds
- Have books around the house and let your child see you reading
- Do Splash Time Rhymes that Bind while at the beach, pool, or water park (blog with rhymes can be found here
- Download the Flit app with 100 fun literacy activities to do with your child
Meanwhile, at the Centre for Family Literacy, the Edmonton Literacy C.O.W. (Classroom on Wheels) Bus program is busy preparing for your visits in the fall, with new themes, new books, and new games and puzzles for parents and their children ages 0-6 years old.
We have extensively added to our books for adults and now have a fiction section. We have books that are science fiction, love stories, memoirs, and many others. Of course we still have an abundance of non-fiction books for adults on various parenting topics, from how to get your kids to sleep with a no-cry solution, to humour in our everyday lives as parents. And as always we have a great selection of books for young children.
So keep soaking up the sunshine while you can (and maybe add some story time under a tree); the Edmonton Literacy C.O.W. Bus staff are busy planning and preparing a great 2016/2017 season for you.
Please check the Centre for Family Literacy website in mid August to find the most convenient location and time for you to drop in and see us at the Edmonton C.O.W. Bus. Hope to see you in September!