The Alberta Prairie C.O.W. Bus is known to travel around the province, taking part in planned events in communities as a way of promoting family literacy. But did you know that, at the invitation of our community partners, the Classroom On Wheels facilitators also hold indoor workshops for parents and caregivers?
The workshops are held in a welcoming space other than the bus, last about an hour and a half, and are for adults only. We require that the hosting organization supply childcare so that parents and caregivers can fully participate.
At these workshops we discuss a variety of early literacy topics:
- What is family literacy and why is it important
- How early literacy leads to the essential skills we use in everyday life
- Building literacy with reading, telling stories, singing, sharing rhymes and playing games
- Simple, inexpensive ideas for activities that can be made at home
- How to incorporate literacy into everyday life
- How to choose quality books; book safety
- Using crafts to extend your rhymes and stories. If there’s time, we will even break into groups for some hands-on practice
- Everyone will take home a list of rhymes to enjoy
At the end of the workshop, attendees will also take home a quality children’s book of their choosing.
To arrange a Parent Workshop for your organization, please contact our Classroom on Wheels Coordinator by calling the Centre for Family Literacy at 780.421.7323.