The countdown to Christmas has officially begun! Many of us have seen or even use the traditional Advent calendar, which houses a delicious chocolate behind each of the 25 doors leading up to Christmas. Children love these calendars and the excitement that comes with the Christmas countdown. At 3,2,1, Fun! we have compiled a fun list of Advent ideas and Christmas activities to share with you. These ideas combine fun and learning into creative Christmas experiences and potentially new traditions that your children and family will love.
25 Books for Advent
Unwrap one book a day to read as a family.
Some of our favourite numeracy-themed books to share are:
- 12 Days of Christmas – Rachel Isodora
- The Doorbell Rang – Pat Hutchins
- Bedtime Math – Laura Overdeck
- Christmas Activities MATHS – Irene Yates
- A Frog in the Bog – Karma Wilson and Joan Rankin
- Ten Apples Up On Top – Dr. Seuss
Advent Activity Envelopes
Choose 25 fun family activities and secure each one in an envelope. Choose one envelope to open each day and enjoy!
Some of the numeracy activity ideas we share in 3,2,1, Fun! are:
- Holiday theme BINGO
- Make paper snowflakes and explore their unique shapes
- Craft Christmas cards or write your wish list
- Build a snowman
- Go for a walk and count how many houses are decorated, predict how many Christmas trees you will see, or collect pine cones along the way to turn into Christmas crafts later
Make Your Own Advent Calendar
A fun idea we shared at 3,2,1, Fun! is how to make your own advent calendar using recycled paper towel tubes, cardboard and craft supplies!
In addition to Advent calendars, there are many fun ways to bring numeracy into your Christmas activities. Some of our favourites at 3,2,1, Fun! are:
- Wrapping gifts – a fun way for children to utilize their measuring and estimation skills
- Christmas baking – a delicious way for children to follow a recipe and practice their ordering, number sense, and prediction skills
- Decorating the house – gives your children the perfect opportunity to use their pattern, shape, and sorting skills
- Making Christmas wish lists and shopping for gifts – offers a great chance for children to discover counting, money sense, and emergent budgeting skills
We hope you enjoy these Christmas activity ideas from 3,2,1, Fun! Come and join us in the New Year at Callingwood School, Tuesdays at 1:00 pm.
Visit our website for more information about this program.