Learn Together Grow Together is a 10-week program for parents with children 3 to 5 years old. We focus on early learning and literacy, and help the parents to recognize their own importance as first teacher of their children.
An important component of the program is taking the families to the gym (or outside if the weather permits) to play games and to try different activities. From the outside looking in, it may just seem that the time spent in the gym is for the children to burn off some energy. Although there is truth to that, gym time provides learning opportunities for both the parents and the children.
Learning opportunities for parents:
- Trying new games such as “Tag”, “What Time is it Mr. Wolf”, or “Go, Go, Stop” which don’t require money to buy equipment
- Opportunities to use different types of equipment that they may not have used before, like scooters or a parachute
- Exposing their children to new or different action words and vocabulary
- Interacting with their children in new ways
- Strengthening the bond they have with their children
- Socializing with other parents and learning from each other
Learning opportunities for children:
- Building new coordination and fine motor skills
- Following directions from the teachers as well as their parents
- Being exposed to new or different action words and vocabulary
- Interacting and socializing with others
- Sharing equipment with others
- Learning responsibility by cleaning up
These are just a few of the many learning opportunities that both parents and their children may have while playing in the gym together – I’m sure there are many more! So in addition to providing exercise and promoting a healthy lifestyle for your family, kicking a ball around outside or playing tag in a gym together is providing learning opportunities for both of you!
Our first session of Learn Together – Grow Together starts on Thursday November 17, 2016. For more information about the program, please visit the Centre for Family Literacy website; to register call Linda at (780) 944-2001 extension 5116. We look forward to learning and growing together with you and your children!